Saturday 20 April 2013

R is for Romance

Like it or not, a little romance or romantic tension always adds something to a story. I've never really tried to write a straight out romance story (aside from one very short-lived attempt when I realised that I didn't actually have a plot...) but there are lots of websites full of advice for people who do want to give it a try, and I find them helpful for adding in vaguely romantic subplots to main stories.

  • Writer's Digest has pages of advice and is usually one of the first places I check if I want to get tips on writing.
  • Writing-World.com has lots of pages of advice as well, and recommends books for further reading.
  • Harlequin has advice for people who are aiming to get a romance story published.

There are lots more pages of advice available on the internet, but these are my favourite three.

Challenge for today is to take your favourite romantic leads (and they don't have to be from the same story) and write a short romantic scene for them.

2 comments:

  1. Hello, Pam! These are great links; I'm sure romance writers will find them very useful!

    Happy A to Z-ing! from Laura Marcella @ Wavy Lines

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great post with helpful links. I'm not great at writing romance, but even a little dash definitely gives a story some extra tension.

    ReplyDelete