Tuesday 2 November 2010

The Sin Eater's family

Crisis over! I've tracked down some of the notes I'd got on the Munslows and I've managed to piece together the family tree again, so the only thing I can't find is the outline of the plot. Fortunately I can remember most of what I was planning, and it was always likely to change a bit when I came to put it down on paper anyway.

I mentioned a couple of weeks ago that I was planning to visit the church at Ratlinghope, Shropshire, where Richard is buried. The weather was beautiful that weekend, so I did manage to get out there, and after driving round in circles for a bit I found the church.

The grave has been recently restored by the church, but it is still difficult to make out the words carved on three of the four sides of the monument. The church was very helpful with extra information though, and they'd even printed a leaflet about Richard and his family, along with the inscriptions from the grave.

The main problem now is going to be not getting confused between all the family members who share names. There are two Richards, two James', two Marys (although one is Mary Ann) and two Anns (although one might possibly have been called Annie). At various points in the timeline there are also three Elizabeths, three Georges and three Thomas' - two of whom are around for most of the story!

No comments:

Post a Comment